After writing my piece about corporal punishment I decided to have an interview with my kids (7 & 9) and find out what their thoughts were about human rights. I explained to them what human rights are and then they listed what they felt were rights which should be accorded to various groups.
Right to be Disciplined
Do you enjoy getting spanked and why?
– No we don’t enjoy getting spanked
– I don’t like being spanked because its sore on my bum
Why do you get spanked?
– For not listening
– To not keep doing it over and over and over again
Will you spank your kids?
– No, not if they don’t do wrong things
– No I will give them home detention, no TV, Staying inside
When you get spanked does it make you want to spank kids you play with?
– No that’s being naughty
Right to Have fun
Why is it important to have fun?
– Because its exercising, life skills
– because you can be loved
Right to an Education
Why is it important to go to school?
– To learn new things everyday and teach other people around you
– To make your brain smarter and not end up in jail
Right to religion
Why is it important to go to church?
– God created the world, we learnt that at church
– Its the first day of the week
Do you like going to church?
– Yes I love going to church because we learn things from the bible
– So that we know memory verses so we can teach our own children
Right to Dream
Why is it important to dream?
– You get to think of new things
– So that you can think of the future
Right to be Loved
Why is it important to be loved?
– You share and you don’t have to be really rude to people
– If you love a person they will love you back
Right to Holiday
Why is it important to go on holiday?
– You can go visit your granny
– So that you can rest
– You can learn new things
– You have time to study
Right to Chores
Do you like doing chores?
– I don’t like doing chores that much because you have to do a lot of work
Why should you do chores?
– We should do chores when we mess the house
– So we can clean up
When should you do chores?
– Only when your house is dirty
These rights will obviously get more complex as they grow older, some will no longer be important and others will replace them in importance. They are exercising their right to freedom of expression and we allow them that space and nurture it.